Nate Perkins

"Dave W" wrote in message ...
I too am considering vises for my new workbench. What do you mean by "the
ability to clamp between a fixed and moving dog?"
Thanks in advance
Dave

Hi Dave,

Frequently you'll see a single or double row of fixed holes in the
benchtop, that are sized to hold a removeable dog peg that goes in the
hole. There's a corresponding hole located in the tail vise, which is
designed to be moveable and is usually on the right side of the bench.
By placing benchdogs in either end and tightening the tail vise, you
can clamp a wide board or part face-up on the benchtop. In addition,
the tail vise usually has a fairly broad face that can be used to
clamp a board vertically along the front of the bench.

Having an tail vise really changed my method for work, and now I use
my tail vise much more often than my face vise.

If you are considering a tail vise, I really recommend using some of
the modern sliding tail vise hardware (available from Lee Valley or
Woodcraft). It greatly simplifies the business of making the tail
vise because you can omit the traditional double runner system. It is
installed similarly to the "Fortune" bench designs as described in
"The Workbench Book" by Landis.

Here are a few pics of the bench I built so you might see what I mean:
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...orkbench04.htm