HL

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"HL" wrote in message
news:Jwtnd.194024$9b.140622@edtnps84...
How much would the following improve efficiency? (20yo gas upflow in the
basement)

1. Make the furnace room airtight and add outside combustion air. This

would
eliminate heated air from going up the chimney. There is already CA to
the
return but this may not be enough.

2. Turn off pilot when not in use - 8 months/year

3. Increase the speed of blower by changing pulley

4. Set fan Limit switch to start fan sooner and stop later

I know the newer furnaces are 80-96% but I spend $800/yr on gas so the
payback will be too long.

If you are spending that amount on gas, your payback will be quicker....do
the math.

also, nothing you state above is worth your time, effort, and 3 and 4 are
bad for you.

Aren't the 80% AFUE furnaces supposed to eliminate losses cause by the pilot
light and 24hr of paid heated air going up the chimney? Would not 1 and 2
eliminate most of those losses? Much efficiency loss would appear to be
caused by 2+ mins of burn before the fan comes on followed by 4 mins run
time. I suppose the new draft inducer design and faster fan startup
eliminate most of this.