Prometheus

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:36:12 GMT, "Dave jackson"
wrote:

Scott,
For some of the projects you mentioned,(Chair,Crown etc) you will not
need an abundance of tools to start with. You miter saw will be fine with a
good finish blade. Pick up some safety equipment, a good level and a
chalkline. I prefer to cope my joints, others just miter inside corners.
Don't be afraid to cope a joint, and it's getting to be a lost art and I
think it is really the best way. Pick up a coping saw, some spare blades
and a file to clean up a cut when needed. I prefer a "4 way" file that is
flat on one side and rounded on the other having a single cut on one end and
rasp cut on the opposite end. If you do not have a trim gun/air compressor,
now's a good time to invest in one. If not, get a hammer you'll be happy
with and a nailset or two. If you decide to tackle crown in the bedroom or
chair rail/wainscoting in the dining room (or whatever) learn what you can
through a book or classes and ask questions here. You'll get answers from
people who do this kind of stuff on a regular basis to fill in where the
books leave off. Welcome to the group --dave

A lot of folks have suggested the voc. school courses, and they are
good, and usually not too expensive- but you can also get a few free 1
hour classes at Home Depot. They're unlikely to go into the finer
points of chair making, but it's a good bet they'll have something
related to crown moulding and other trim work.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam