David G. Sizemore

On 2004-11-25, Andy Dingley wrote:
No, but I've used their measuring tools. They're OK. Somewhere
between good European and typical Chinese. So long as you don't pay
too much, they're alright. They've got to be better than Kunz !

Good to know, thanks

Maybe. You can't just "slap a Hock in" for anything, because Hock ship
them unhoned. Get a decent iron instead and it comes ready to use.

Ummm....as we said in grade school, "duuh"! I knew full well that I would
have to hone the iron. I was asking (incorrectly, perhaps) if anyone knew
of the quality of the "stock" iron, and would replacing the iron with a
decent one would help in changing the sow's ear closer to a silk purse; or
if it was just trying to polish a turd {don't try that-you end up with sh*t
on your hands and a ****ed off turd}

I am not a production shop, just want to do a few projects a year. I am
aware that this $50.00 plane will not act like a $600.00 one, but why not?

Try and find a Fine Woodworking multi-plane review from a few years
ago. They reviewed a bunch of planes,

Will do, Thanks

They also found that a cap iron that fitted well
(they recomended the Clifton two piece) was a worthwhile tweak.

Again, good to know, thanks

So buy your planes from eBay in the first place.

rather pay $100 dollars for a known-limited piece, than $300 for something
that used to be good, and is not salvageable. I will buy many things off
Ebay, but I'll let the tool gloats pass by.

$500 planes are ridiculous anyway.

But I sure would love to have a shop full

No-one needs to spend this for
typical bench planes.

See above

--
If you don't know to switch the "com" and the "gmail",
You probably shouldn't attempt to email me.

David G. Sizemore