BigWallop

"Rob Griffiths" wrote in message
I'm thinking of fliping over my worktops in the kitchen and tiling over
what was the underside. Two questions:

1) is this crazy? Maybe the underside of a worktop (paper backing?) is
unsuitable for tiling?

2) if OK - what sort of tiles - all I can find on google are floor and
wall tiles. I'm thinking mainly about impact and heat fracture.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

And chipping the front edge of the tiles. And making the underside of the
worktop water proof. And creating a solid enough surface to have the tiles
stick and not come off with expansion and contraction of the chipboard under
normal temperature changes in a kitchen.

Floor tiles would normally be OK for this type of job. But seal the
underside of the worktop with a dilute solution of PVA and water before
laying on the adhesive. You might also need silicone sealant as a grout for
the gaps, to stop water penetrating through. And use wooden boards to lay
hot pots on when they come off the hob or out of the oven. And having to
use chopping boards to cut things on and stop knifes scratching the glaze on
the tiles.

Even the tiled worktops from kitchen sales rooms have these restrictions on
them. So it's all part of having a tiled work surface in the kitchen.