Prometheus

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:16:31 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:01:17 -0600, Prometheus
calmly ranted:

ROFL!!! Though I'd have to say there are many fine woods less
expensive than Walnut- Mahogany and Ash come to mind, along with
others.

Only that brown and white striped African crap they call try to call
"mahogany" is cheaper than any walnut I've ever seen. I think Holstein
or Guernsey genes got mixed in those trees somehow. It turned the
trees into 90% sapwood and 10% heartwood. sigh

Hmm. The last piece I bought seemed to be the real deal, but I don't
have anything else to compare it to. It's got a nice reddish-brown
color with no white to speak of, and a fairly close grain. The
hardwood supplier (which I do trust, after building a relationship
with them) assured me that it was the real McCoy. $3.60 a bf,
compared to $4.25 a bf for Walnut. The walnut is the stuff I have
trouble with, actually- there is a fair amount of white on the edges
of the planks. I try to work the contrast into what I'm making, but
it sure isn't that consistant as far as color goes.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam