Doctor John

I did a Google search for propane- compressed air metal cutting and only
found products for soldering and brazing. One site has info indicating that
propane/air will reach 2000 deg. C and propane/Ox will reach 2800 deg. I'd
love to just use my shop air compressor and left over propane tanks to cut
metal (max soft steel thickness to be cut would probably be less than an
inch). Can you give me any more info or links to find cutting torches using
propane and compressed air? Thanks

John

wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:32:01 -0700, "Doctor John"
wrote:

This has opened up a whole new train of thought for me. I do all my

welding
with stick and MIG, but I recently bought a used oxy/acet rig (without
bottles) for limited cutting. So, it appears from this thread that I can
get by with just purchasing an oxygen bottle, as I have several of the
smaller propane bottles the size used in BBQs. Would you kind folks go

over
what I need to do to set up a propane cutting torch - will I be giving up
any cutting ability using propane instead of acetylene? Thanks!

Forget about oxygen too. You DO have an air compressor, right??

Propane Air works good for cutting - most of the scrapyards here
abouts use it.
John
"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
Id like to know the differences in using these two fuels for normal
around the farm cutting and brazing.

I understand that propylene is safer, has more in the tank, is
cheaper..and thats all I know.

Ive got an old S/V 100 torch handle and various cutting heads and
brazing tips, as well as an old Union Carbide cutting torch.

I have to change the cutting tips, correct? What about the existing
brazing tips?

How much does a tank of propylene cost versus acetylene?

Is there an issue with my hoses?

Regulators? Can a acetylene regulator be used for propylene?

In the past, an acetylene tank has lasted me a couple years, but Ive
sorta gotten the welding bug and Im doing all sorts of projects now.

Ive got tig/stick welders to weld with, but will be doing some brazing
and silversoldering (band saw blades, brazing cast iron..the usual)

Any good links to any good information or some hints and tips?

Tanks G

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001