Pete C

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:49:43 +0000, Tim S wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:22:37 +0000, Tim S wrote:

I think it would work quite well. Sort of S plan plus, but with more
flexibility. I don't like the idea of defining zones in hard plumbing as
the house in question does not lend itself to the notion that "room x =
bedroom". The way it's laid out, today's bedroom could be tomorrow's
secondary living room or study etc. Such is life with bungalows ;-

[replying to myself - first sign of madness :/ ]

There is another solution I though of... Using a manifold with lots of
electric valves. Got the idea from some underfloor heating company on the
web. If I don't want [afford] a timer/thermostat in every area, I could
lock certain circuits on.

I could get away with one RF module per circuit, and make up my own box
full of DIN mounted relays to provide the common demand signal.

As it happens the manifold would be centrally located in the house so
not much difficulty with plumbing, and it would be adjacent to the boiler
and pump anyway.

Hi,

Another way would be to have some resistance wire in the TRV. When
current flows through it the heat from the wire lowers the temperature
the TRV closes at.

This could work quite well as in mild weather it's OK to turn off the
rads in rooms that aren't being used, but in colder weather some
background heat is still a good idea.

Or the current can be switched at different duty cycles to vary the
effect, an old laptop with a parallel port interface circuit would be
ideal for this.

cheers,
Pete.