Heathcliff Bambino

(Fleemo) wrote in message . com...
As I build my tool collection, I'm wondering what I'd get more use out
of (and thus buy first) -- a circular saw or a miter saw? I'll be
doing occasional basic honey-do projects like birdhouses and shelves
and stuff.

Also, any suggestions on brand names?

-F

The miter saw is good for -- guess what? -- miter cuts, so if you will
be making picture frames, or cutting molding for a remodeling project,
or something like that where you need a lot of precise miter cuts on
small stock, it's good for that. The circular saw is more versatile
for general construction and would be essential if you were to make,
say, a deck. Also, it can be used for ripping -- long lengthwise cuts
-- which the miter saw cannot do. Not so good for precise work
though.

Consider another alternative -- for small to medium size projects, a
good quality saber saw can do most things a circular saw can, and can
make curvy cuts too, and is generally easier to handle and less
dangerous. Must be good quality, though, for example a Bosch.