Malcolm Webb

Default Workbench vices

Thanks for all the help and information regarding workbench tops. Now
that the project is well underway and the frame is complete I went to
purchase 2 vices today. I had decided on a pair of 9" Record vices, plain
screw with dogs, for both the main and the tail vice.

Both places I tried didn't have the 9" in stock. The second place had a
7" and a 10 1/2" but the bigger one had a damaged handle -- slightly bent.
I couldn't see that was any detriment. I finally persuaded the guy to
let me have the bigger one at the same price as the 7" one.

Question now is -- which vice do I use as the tail vice?

I am minded to use the bigger one as the tail vice as it has a wider jaw
opening and it is the heavier of the two.

Any views from the team?

Many thanks.

Malcolm Webb