Chet Hayes

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote in message ...
"PJx" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:05:03 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

"Jeff Cochran" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:57:02 GMT, John Smith
wrote:

I just bought a house and found the A/C unit not working. I
checked the filters and they were as filthy as you can imagine. I
thought I could make the A/C work by simply replacing the filters.
No. After I replaced the filters, there was still no cool air. I
wonder what has been damaged, if any?

Filters are supposed to be dirty. But rarely will a dirty filter
cause problems elsewhere. Call a repair man...

Dirty, not filthy....and yes, a clogged filter can create all kinds of
problem$
Jeff

It is highly unlikely that your problem with your AC not working
was caused by the filters being filthy.

Filters being filthy does cause highly inefficient operation though,
so they should be changed regularly to lower your utility bills.

Pj

LOL...while you are correct, to a point, tell that to the people that called
us today as a 3rd quote...filter got sucked into the evap, they didnt know
it.....had been there for 3 years...
One new heat pump....it CAN indeed happen, and you would be surprised how
many we see that have been run like that, the other techs didnt check things
properly, overcharged the unit to the point that the unit was in a floodback
condition, and it kills the units.

Somehow I think the bigger problem here is that the OP didn't get a
home inspection done before buying the property. That inspection
would have found this problem. Why people fail to do this is beyond
me, because it is free in most cases. A routine inspection will
usually uncover more than enough problems to get the seller to
discount way more than the cost of the inspection.