Joseph Meehan

Matt wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a fire resistant safe.. but have a few
questions. I've looked at a few different ones, and most of them say
1/2 hour but some of the more expensive ones say 1 hour. Is it worth
spending the extra cash for the 1 hour? To me even 1 hour is way too
short to withstand the heat from a house fire. Any thoughts? Do these
safes actually work, or are they false security?

It is really difficult to say. Fires are not all the same. The times
indicated are based on a standard test, but homes don't always product the
standard fire.

Another consideration is the amount of protection the contents need.
Paper may need one level of protection, diamonds can handle more heat, and
computer disk less.

I have a one hour safe. I got it cheep at a garage sale. It should
provide a little better protection than the 30 minute types. It is my
understanding that the 30 minute types are rather marginal.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math