John Stumbles

Default A quick question.

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
I'm not a plumber, as just about anyone will tell in a minute.

Thermal Stores provide mains pressure hot water, by keeping a large amount
in a tank, and passing water through sophisticated heat exchangers.

In my house, which has a conventional fully pumped system, the radiator in
the bathroom is always on when the central heating is, I guess this is so
when the house reaches temperature the water has somewhere to go if one
of the zone valves fails.

It's occurred to me, that you could design a system which uses the

radiators
as the thermal store. (Provided the pump was going.)

Has anyone done this?

Some systems with thermal stores are arranged rather as the reverse of what
you're suggesting: the thermal store has a heat exchanger from which the
space heating is run. This arrangement tends to be implemented more where
the space heating is true radiators i.e. radiant emitters e.g. underfloor
heating which require lower temperatures of circulating water than so called
'radiators' which are mostly convectors and want higher temperatures. (You
with me so far? :-)

Other conventional ('radiator' based) systems dispense with the always-on
bathroom rad in various ways (which have been discussed at length not to say
ad nauseam in uk.d-i-y, as Mr Google will no doubt tell you if you ask
nicely :-)