gerry

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:40:18 GMT, (Gary R. Lloyd)
wrote:

I should point out that I am by no means an expert on HRV/ERV, but I
am not aware of any residential ERV which is recommended for subzero
temps, because they freeze up. I included the above link to very
expensive high volume commercial warm weather/cold weather ERV's just
to show that it is possible. I suspect however, that the humidity
transfer has a price.

I can not get the make/model info at the moment since I don't live in
Maine. But ME certainly experiences subzero temperatures and residential
ERV's are required in all new construction. The person I visited with one
no longer lives in that house (or new construction) so I can't call and
get the information.

One such unit is:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/erv-2pd.pdf

It uses a periodic defrost cycle below 23F.

"The ERV is equipped with a special energy recovery core which exchanges
both sensible and latent heat with the fresh incoming air. The ability to
transfer moisture however, allows the core to build frost to cold outdoor
air in winter time. For temperatures below 23°F, the unit will
automatically operate with periodic defrost."

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com