BigWallop

"W" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:28:37 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

smipped

hope this gives a few pointers.

Yes, thanks. The shops also sell large "tiles" to use under laminate
flooring. I don't know what they are made of. Would these also be
good?

TIA, W

I've heard of the fibre board underlay used with laminate, but I thought
this was best used on just concrete flooring, mainly for thermal and
moisture prevention. I could be wrong though. We also found that all the
underlay materials, sold for use with laminate, was very expensive and not
as practical as it was made out to be. That's why we used plywood.

The ply was rigid enough to take away the differences in the height of the
old floor boards and the transition between the timber floor and concrete.
It also gives enough thermal protection when used with the normal foam
(white thin stuff) underlay that you should always put under new laminate
flooring anyway. So we kept the cost down, and it really doesn't seem to
have created any great disadvantages to the floor at all. In fact, it looks
very nice, though I say it myself. :-))