Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mark" writes:
I'm ready to change one of my 6 foot fluorescent tubes. The tube is 75w
but I noticed that the starter fitted is rated 4-65w. It has always
worked ok with that starter but could there be a problem or safety issue
using a too low W starter? Had a look in B&Q and they do 2 types (4-65w
and 70-100w). Is it best to get the higher one to be on the safe side?

The symptom of using too low a value starter is that it can keep
trying to start the tube after it is properly started, and this is
more likely in lower temperature conditions. If it's working OK for
you, don't worry about it. I don't think there's any safety related
issue. In commercial premises, the starter will often be replaced
with the tube anyway, as the cost of the starter is insignificant
compared with the total relamping cost -- the cost of replacing a
dead starter later is much higher.

I've used a 4-65w starter on a 400W mercury vapour lamp to speed up
the hot restrike time, and the starter doesn't come to any harm
(although it only reduces the restrike time by about a factor of 2,
which wasn't good enough for the application).

--
Andrew Gabriel