Silvan

Brandystew wrote:

Anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

No, not in my home. I live in Fiberoptic Junction, and can't get DSL here.

I have, however, set up Verizon DSL for two clients. The process in my case
involved doing a network installation of Debian Linux, and downloading
somewhere around 500 MB of packages from the fastest available server. I
found at both locations that the download speed was around 150 Kps. This
is less than half the speed of cable, but the difference between 5 Kps and
150 Kps is plenty enough to grab your attention and make you think you just
put a rocket ship in your computer.

The only measure of reliability I have is whether or not people call me with
problems. They would call me to deal with Verizon for them (a free part of
the service) and I haven't had to call Verizon yet. One of them has been
running for about a year now.

All in all, it's a pretty good deal. As an installer, I prefer using a
router for my own benefit. Routers eliminate the need to futz with all the
fiddly PPPoE configuration nonsense, and save me effort. The most recent
install came with a router as part of the package, and I think perhaps that
is because Verizon themselves recognize how much easier life is when you
let the router manage that stuff transparently.

Like every other format of broadband I have experienced, Windows is pretty
much inescapable for getting the ball rolling the first time. Once the
modem is provisioned, it no longer matters what platform you're running.
However, it's probably necessary to keep a copy of Windows in your pocket
somewhere in case you ever have to provision a new modem at some point in
the future.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/