Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:22:31 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

Gunner was asking about propylene which is very similar to what we in
the UK refer to as MAPP gas, although that is a brand name.

Why is it that here in the UK MAPP is still a rarity and using
propylene as a fuel gas is unheard of ? Is it commonplace in the US?

MAPP is a mix of gasses.
Methyl-Acetylene Poly-Propylene.

It used to be more common in the US, but has been replaced by Propylene
to a large degree.
I prefer MAPP for heavy cutting, but it is difficult for a small shop
to get the tanks.

For the last 2 years I have been using a Propylene mix called Flamal,
and it works very well for cutting, and heating.

A mix I see a lot at professional flame cutting shops is called
Chemtane II.

Propane and Natural gas are also used a lot by larger cutting shops.