Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:55:15 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:11:46 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

No additional hold downs.

There's a hold-down, not a table -- some extra applied gadget and thus
less simple and trustworthy than a table. It also relies on being adjusted
for thickness.

What extra gadgert? You consider blade guards, splitters, antikickback
pawls as extra gadgets?

Do you adjust the blade height on the TS depending on the thickness of
the workpiece? I do.

No, I always use the blade at full height. This is the big advantage of
the TS for ripping - I can use my blade so that the timber passes
through it with the blade travelling vertically and almost all no
horizontal drag forces.

Sorry, but the experts such as Kelly Mehler, Nick Engler & others disagree
with you. Kelly & Nick suggest the blade be adjusted between 1/8" and
1/4" above the workpiece. And what about non through and dado cuts? Oh,
that's right - you aren't allowed to use those dangerous devices.

And you didn't answer the question about the trustworthiness of a RAS.

-Doug