Matt

Jeff Cochran wrote:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:57:02 -0500, Matt wrote:

In the event of a power failure I would like to be able to power my
fridge as well as my furnance... those are really the only two
requirements. Is there a cheap way to do this? Fridge, obviously I can
run an extension cord... but what about the furnance?

I don't suppose it's safe to 'backfeed' an electrical system.. ie flip
the main off, and then plug the generator into say a 20Amp outlet, and
then run the furnance through the backfeed of the electrical system as
long as I don't use anything more then 20Amp circuits?

You need a transfer switch. Couple hundred bucks for most small
generators, but you may need an electrician to install it (check local
code requirements).

Alternatively, an electric space heater or portable propane heater
will cover those needs.

Of course, why do you need a fridge *and* a heater? If it's cold
enough to need a heater, just toss the fridge contents out in the
snowbank...

Jeff

Jeff,
Very good observation so basically it looks like my easiest plan of
attack is to wire an outlet down by the furnance... if it's warm outside
I can run the fridge.. if it's cold the furnance.. just route 1 or 2
orange extension cords to the correct appliance and bingo