MP Toolman

Anybody use natural gas for cutting and heating? Seems like that might be the
most economical and convenient alternative. I have thought about tapping into
the pipe supplying my shop furnace. Obviously keep the acetylene for gas
welding. Any experience with a similar arrangement?

Thanks,
Mill

Gunner, I am about the most thrifty guy around or so I'm told ( by the way
thrifty does not mean cheap!). I have used propane for all my torch cutting
for years. For the small amount of brazing or other oxy/acet work I have a
small "B" tank on my torch cart hooked up to a small Harris torch, I use a
"Y" connector on the oxygen tank with a separate valve for the Harris torch.
My cutting set up is a Air Liquide with a two piece tip. Propane cuts
beautifully and is readily available. Try it you will like it! Now don't get
me wrong that you never want to weld with oxy/acet but we now have so many
other affordable welding systems at hand that if you have stick, mig or Tig
you will go for them first. In my opinion someone just starting out should
look at Oxy /acet setups that they can convert later to use for propane when
they move on to other equipment. I personally started out using oxy/acet
over 30+ years ago on a field service crew welding take offs for new
residential and commercial gas services , I didn't realize it then but all
of those welds in the ditch taught me an awful lot about heat control and
body contortion since we did all of the excavation with a shovel.

Pete