Nick Hull

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Ok...Im way way out of practice on my basic electronics...blush

I found a 12vt dc diaphragm pump of the same type thats in the tig
coolant unit I was given. (Lincoln Magnum)

The old pump and all the gizmos were fed 24vt ac. I did find a tiny
full wave rectifier inside the pump, which apparently only had bad
brushes. Unfortunately..I didnt get all the parts to the motor, else
Id simply stick in a new set of brushes and voila.......sigh

The new pump is 12vdc at 7 amps. The rectifier is no biggie.

What is the best way to drop the 24vac down to 12v?

You could just cheat; use the 24 vac and half-rectify it. Instead of a
steady 12 volts you would be supplying a pulsed 24 volts, but I doubt
the motor would notice. Make sure the rectifier can handle the higher
pulses, bet even that is probably no big deal since it is the average
current that limits diodes.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/