Hannahblot

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:43:49 GMT, "NSM" wrote:

"Hannahblot" wrote in message
.. .
| Hi, I wonder if anyone might be able to help me figure out the most
| likely reason an old 1960's battery clock has stopped working.
|
| The clock has an unusual battery powered movement so i can't just swap
| it out for a more modern one. It's such a nice old retro design I
| don't want to bin it either.
|
| I have a link to a .jpg of the clock's circuit board below.
|
| My first guess is that it is the capacitor but I am unsure how I would
| go about testing this (I have a multimeter) or any of the other
| components.
|
| Runs off a single D cell battery, battery and contacts are fine.
|
| http://home.btconnect.com/metaluna/clock/clockcirc.jpg

I'm betting the pendulum plunges through the coil? In that case, not a
quartz clock, but a mechanical clock that uses the oscillator to power it
instead of a spring. The coil is the most critical part, and I would check
for continuity - how many ohms is it? The rest of the parts are easy, but if
the coil is open or shorted you are in big trouble.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to check out the capacitor first and
hope it's not the coil !

Hannahblot