Harold & Susan Vordos

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

Sometimes I need a special drill for a model project.
For example, I need a drill with a 45 deg point.
Another other project needed a flat bottom drill.

I am looking for recomendations on a drill
sharpener that can grind these special points.

Any recomendations? I don't want to spend a forturne
on something I will only use once a year.

chuck

No matter how much they charge you once a year, it would be cheaper
to go to a commercial tool & cutter grind shop and have your custom
grinds done. Say you would have put $150 into a drill grinder. That
money would bring you what, $3 in interest in a year? If you are
going to have 2 drills sharpened special grind, that might cost you
$5 a year. You can see it's a money-losing proposition to own a
machine.

Chuckle! I love your philosophy, Grant!

I'm of the opinion that the convenience of owning tools far outweighs the
inconvenience of discovering you need something special ground, driving to a
given shop, waiting for them to work it in, maybe today, maybe next week,
and making the drive back to pick it up, mean time you're stopped on the
project. Factor in the inconvenience and subcontracting simple jobs like
this makes no sense. Especially when they can be done with surprising
results by hand with a pedestal grinder.

Besides, isn't part of the challenge of doing it at home in *doing it at
home*? Having it done by others sort of defeats the purpose.

Harold