Thomas Kendrick

For propane cutting, get as large an oxygen bottle as possible,
consistent with portability and cost considerations. It's oxygen that
does the cutting anyway.
A cutting tip recessed for propane is required in order to stay lit.
The type T hoses should replace the acetylene-only type R hoses.
Propane will take a little longer to heat the metal sufficient to
start the cut, but once you are cutting, there's no difference since
it's the oxygen that produces the cutting action.
You may also need to adapt your bottle cart, since the O2 bottle is
taller and slender while most propane tanks are short and larger in
diameter.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:32:01 -0700, "Doctor John"
wrote:

This has opened up a whole new train of thought for me. I do all my welding
with stick and MIG, but I recently bought a used oxy/acet rig (without
bottles) for limited cutting. So, it appears from this thread that I can
get by with just purchasing an oxygen bottle, as I have several of the
smaller propane bottles the size used in BBQs. Would you kind folks go over
what I need to do to set up a propane cutting torch - will I be giving up
any cutting ability using propane instead of acetylene? Thanks!

John