Pete

Gunner, I am about the most thrifty guy around or so I'm told ( by the way
thrifty does not mean cheap!). I have used propane for all my torch cutting
for years. For the small amount of brazing or other oxy/acet work I have a
small "B" tank on my torch cart hooked up to a small Harris torch, I use a
"Y" connector on the oxygen tank with a separate valve for the Harris torch.
My cutting set up is a Air Liquide with a two piece tip. Propane cuts
beautifully and is readily available. Try it you will like it! Now don't get
me wrong that you never want to weld with oxy/acet but we now have so many
other affordable welding systems at hand that if you have stick, mig or Tig
you will go for them first. In my opinion someone just starting out should
look at Oxy /acet setups that they can convert later to use for propane when
they move on to other equipment. I personally started out using oxy/acet
over 30+ years ago on a field service crew welding take offs for new
residential and commercial gas services , I didn't realize it then but all
of those welds in the ditch taught me an awful lot about heat control and
body contortion since we did all of the excavation with a shovel.

Pete

"Gunner" wrote in message
Id like to know the differences in using these two fuels for normal
around the farm cutting and brazing.

I understand that propylene is safer, has more in the tank, is
cheaper..and thats all I know.

Ive got an old S/V 100 torch handle and various cutting heads and
brazing tips, as well as an old Union Carbide cutting torch.

I have to change the cutting tips, correct? What about the existing
brazing tips?

How much does a tank of propylene cost versus acetylene?

Is there an issue with my hoses?

Regulators? Can a acetylene regulator be used for propylene?

In the past, an acetylene tank has lasted me a couple years, but Ive
sorta gotten the welding bug and Im doing all sorts of projects now.

Ive got tig/stick welders to weld with, but will be doing some brazing
and silversoldering (band saw blades, brazing cast iron..the usual)

Any good links to any good information or some hints and tips?

Tanks G

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001