Randy Zimmerman

Cutting with propane requires a different tip on the torch. That runs
around fifteen to twenty dollars.each.
The flame is not a hot as acetylene so it takes a few seconds longer to
preheat the edge of the plate. The cut is cleaner giving less slag hanging
on the bottom of the plate. Also the height of the torch tip off the plate
is not as critical. Most automatic cutting tables use propane or natural
gas to burn plate because it is cleaner and more economical.
Lighting propane is a learned skill. I often will lay the torch against
the plate to prevent the flame from blowing out when I strike up.
Yes you will use more oxygen but propane is so much cheaper and safer
that you still save money .
My acetylene regulator attaches directly to my small 20 pound bottle of
propane.
Randy

"Doctor John" wrote in message
This has opened up a whole new train of thought for me. I do all my
welding
with stick and MIG, but I recently bought a used oxy/acet rig (without
bottles) for limited cutting. So, it appears from this thread that I can
get by with just purchasing an oxygen bottle, as I have several of the
smaller propane bottles the size used in BBQs. Would you kind folks go
over
what I need to do to set up a propane cutting torch - will I be giving up
any cutting ability using propane instead of acetylene? Thanks!

John
"Gunner" wrote in message
Id like to know the differences in using these two fuels for normal
around the farm cutting and brazing.

I understand that propylene is safer, has more in the tank, is
cheaper..and thats all I know.

Ive got an old S/V 100 torch handle and various cutting heads and
brazing tips, as well as an old Union Carbide cutting torch.

I have to change the cutting tips, correct? What about the existing
brazing tips?

How much does a tank of propylene cost versus acetylene?

Is there an issue with my hoses?

Regulators? Can a acetylene regulator be used for propylene?

In the past, an acetylene tank has lasted me a couple years, but Ive
sorta gotten the welding bug and Im doing all sorts of projects now.

Ive got tig/stick welders to weld with, but will be doing some brazing
and silversoldering (band saw blades, brazing cast iron..the usual)

Any good links to any good information or some hints and tips?

Tanks G

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001