Fred

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message

As I often buy bulk in Calais, I would
even get the storage problem for regular wines, but they would suffer
less from an understairs cupboard of course.

There are wine companies who will store wine for you in optimum conditions.

I know a handful of those, to my knowledge they do only offer this for
bottles they have sold to me in the first place. And needless to say
that if I come home from Calais with 100-150 bottles to be drunk over
the course of two year, you need a very local firm in order to make
this worth your while. Yorkshire seems to be rather thin on those
firms in the first place.

But I am fascinated by your idea to dig one myself. Now the digging is
not the problem, trap door included. Stability wise this should not be
a problem but how does one tank such a cellar so that rising damp and
vermin does not go after the labels, cork; and if you succeed in doing
so you would have the ventilation problem unless you just use brick
walls, but I suspect that this in turn would get you condensation
issues. Had that in the last cellar I had, made the walls look pretty
bad...

Fred