Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:
stuart noble wrote:
Having spent an hour talking to electrical wholesalers who have no idea what
I'm talking about, thought I'd ask the question here.
I'm looking for a standard 4ft fluorescent fitting with an instant (or close
to it) start. If I can get a warm white 27K tube to go with it, so much the

Instant start will significantly reduce the life of the tube.

This area is a confusing mess because terms are not used consistently.
To some people, instant start means fully striking the tube within a
fraction of a second. To other people, it simply means electronic
control gear, unfortunately. Until you actually get hold of the
control gear and try it, it's almost impossible to determine which
version of "instant start" is meant. In some cases, manufacturers do
both variants (e.g. the Philips matchbox ballasts for compact
fluorescents), in which case they'll describe the difference in
behaviour of the two types. Some time ago, I came across a ballast
which was switch selectable (one of the first mains electronic
ballasts I saw), but I don't think anyone has donw that for years now.

As an example, I bought a couple of Relco instant start ballasts
for 58W tubes. A year later, I bought one more, identical part/model
number, and it's now got a 1.5 second preheat. Bummer.

Real instant start will be more punishing on the tube. Personally,
I don't care. I just fitted two in a bathroom because I want the
light fully on the instant I pull the cord, not 1-2 seconds later.

--
Andrew Gabriel