Robert Swinney

Grant sez:
" I own a Darex M3 with a Glendo mount for a 7" Baldor bench grinder.
I can sharpen drills from about 1/8" up to 1-1/2", any angle I want.
Those aren't cheap, nor are they current. Look for a lightly used M5
setup on ebay, or an M4 (same thing, just fewer included attachments)."

I'm curious about how you sharpen the 1/1/2" drills. I have a Darex M3 and
it came with a 1/16 to 1/2" chuck. Later I added the optional 1/2 to 3/4"
chuck. Does Darex offer a chuck that goes to 1-1/2? How do you sharpen the
drills over 3/4"?

Bob Swinney

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

Sometimes I need a special drill for a model project.
For example, I need a drill with a 45 deg point.
Another other project needed a flat bottom drill.

I am looking for recomendations on a drill
sharpener that can grind these special points.

Any recomendations? I don't want to spend a forturne
on something I will only use once a year.

chuck

No matter how much they charge you once a year, it would be cheaper
to go to a commercial tool & cutter grind shop and have your custom
grinds done. Say you would have put $150 into a drill grinder. That
money would bring you what, $3 in interest in a year? If you are
going to have 2 drills sharpened special grind, that might cost you
$5 a year. You can see it's a money-losing proposition to own a
machine.

Sharp buying over time will net you one for $200-275. That will do a
good job for you.

Other guys have written a lot about how to use a cheap General drill
grinding jig. I've never looked because I figure all that writing is
about a poorly designed tool or it wouldn't be needed.

You can actually sharpen larger drills freehand once you learn how.
I don't think you can learn without a live teacher, though. Google
on what teenut once wrote, it's the one where you indent the tip of
your finger to act as a indexing stop or something.

GWE