IMM

"RichardS" noone@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:10:41 GMT, "coherers"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

This is as I understand it, but do remember that the Approved
Documents do not have the force of law - they are simply a guideline.

Right - there is a tendency for the Approved documents to "extend" the

law,
which really irritates me 'cos there are enough real regulations

without
f***head's office inventing them

So the quote above can be nothing more than a recommendation, and is
in effect the status quo today.

There is one big change in the status quo. Currently, if we add a

socket
and
skimp on the inspection/testing, we may end on the wrong side of the

civil
law. After 1st Jan, if we do anything which doesn't comply with regs,

we
could end up with a criminal record ( s35, Building Act 1984).

Ditto for the professionals though, which might be the silver

lining....

True. Although I suspect in reality that the whole thing will end up
being a white elephant anyway.

Our resident ex and current BCOs might like to comment here, but it
seems to me that the only time where violations of building control
are likely to be detected are

a) If they are visible from the exterior of the house - e.g. an
extension

b) The neighbours shop the householder

c) Something bad happens

d) The property is sold.

For wiring, a) and b) are unlikely if it is the only work - of course
if it's part of something else then that's a bigger issue and the
person is already in violation of other parts anyway.

c) is possible, but we know that the number of bad things like fires
and shocks attributable to fixed wiring are small. Since this
regulation allows spurs to be fitted uncontrolled, it does not protect
the MP's electrocuted daughter if the cooker hood wiring was to a
spur, except in so far that it was in a kitchen and therefore
controlled. I see no logical reason why the same thing with a
different appliance couldn't have happened in another room.

In case d) what would happen? The purchaser has a survey and the
surveyor picks up that wiring was done and no certificate because it
was DIY and the person didn't bother. So he gets an electrician in
and the installation is tested. If it passes then fine, if not then
it gets fixed. I don't imagine that anybody is going to call up
Building Control and ask them to come round with handcuffs.

And of course dont forget that the idea of paying money for the sharpest,
slipperiest, most aggressive solicitor that you can find is to protect you
from answering any nasty questions untruthfully or to your detriment....

A detective relative of mine said, "never say anything", "never answer
questions". A good lawyer or copper may have the knack of ribbing you to
get your emotions up. He said "it is a game, ignore them" and he said " I
always admired a pro under provocation from us, who just said nothing at
all. He won, we lost, he walked away".