Ace

My suggestions woud be:

Skip a drill grinder for once a year useage.

Invest in a good "opti-visor", a good work light, a good pedestal grinder
with a suitable
wheel, and a good protractor with a metal scale (with tenths graduations).
Note that
all of these can be used for other purposes. (protractor for angle, the
metal scale
for length of drill lips).

Truly, a couple hours spent mastering the techniques of grinding a drill
point has it's own
rewards. For example, get yourself a beatup drill bit and a scrap piece of
metal.
Oh yeah, a new drill also, from which you can visually compare physical
features, and
results of using same.

Regrind the old bit and try drilling a hole, noting perfomance.
Chips from both lips of drill? Are they equal width/thickness?
Force required to feed drill okay?

Just keep in mind a badly pointed drill can grab and do nasty things,
so observe all appropriate safety precautions.

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
Sometimes I need a special drill for a model project.
For example, I need a drill with a 45 deg point.
Another other project needed a flat bottom drill.

I am looking for recomendations on a drill
sharpener that can grind these special points.

Any recomendations? I don't want to spend a forturne
on something I will only use once a year.

chuck