Tom Gardner

Tim, I salute you! You know I'm a fan of "eating problems"

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Grant Erwin wrote:

Out here in the Pacific Northwest, Eastern gray squirrels are classified
as
a pest. They are not native but most people here don't know it as they
are
very very common. The usual method used out here (pretty effective) to
trap
them is to first feed them for a few weeks, to get them used to finding
food
in a particular location, then to get a medium sized live trap and put
the
food dish in the back of it. They get in but they don't get out. An easy
way
to kill the animal is to submerge the entire trap in water with the
squirrel
in it. I know of a person in Salem, Oregon who has dispatched over 100
squirrels
this way. He says it makes a dent but they always come back.

What we really need is more squirrel hawks. I'll add that to my list of
hawks
we need, which already includes pigeon hawks and crow hawks.

Or some good squirrel stew recipes. Perhaps we could reduce the squirrel
problem _and_ the low-income nutrition problem at the same time?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services