David Billington

Gunner was asking about propylene which is very similar to what we in
the UK refer to as MAPP gas, although that is a brand name. Propane is a
different gas and commonly used for cutting due to lower costs but I
think it doesn't necessarilly gives as good a result.

Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Id like to know the differences in using these two fuels for normal
around the farm cutting and brazing.

I understand that propylene is safer, has more in the tank, is
cheaper..and thats all I know.

Ive got an old S/V 100 torch handle and various cutting heads and
brazing tips, as well as an old Union Carbide cutting torch.

I have to change the cutting tips, correct? What about the existing
brazing tips?

How much does a tank of propylene cost versus acetylene?

Is there an issue with my hoses?

Regulators? Can a acetylene regulator be used for propylene?

In the past, an acetylene tank has lasted me a couple years, but Ive
sorta gotten the welding bug and Im doing all sorts of projects now.

Ive got tig/stick welders to weld with, but will be doing some brazing
and silversoldering (band saw blades, brazing cast iron..the usual)

Any good links to any good information or some hints and tips?

Tanks G

Gunner

Gunner,

My understanding is that propane is ok for cutting but not a hot enough
flame for welding. Propane is cheaper per unit energy that acetylene here in
the UK.
Propane cutting nozzles are markedly different - here in the UK they are of
a two part concentric construction, the outer being the same copper alloy
used with acetylene, but the inner is a brass, and they come apart for
cleaing .

My personal opinion is that for general use acetylene is more versatile as
you can weld as well, but I actually have both.

Not sure if it is recommended, but I'm using an acetylene regulator on a
propane tank for my metal melting furnace. Beware that propane needs a
special hose, as it disolves the rubber used on acetylene hoses.

AWEM