Bjarte Runderheim

"Ace" skrev i melding
news:SMKod.90182$5K2.57959@attbi_s03...
I have no experience with a lathe and I am very interested in getting into
bowl turning.
I have a Grizzly G5979 Lathe and I am thinking about buying a Talon

66B05.53
1" X 8 tpi scroll chuck which also comes with a screw from Lee Valley for
$199. I would like your opinion on this chuck. Also, I want to buy a bowl
gouge and was wondering what you all thought I should get, should I get a
3/8ths or a 1/2 inch gouge?
Thank you all very much for your help, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

The Talon is one of the really good choices. It is robust,
mine does not show wear in the mechanism after nearly
three years of use.

I would absolutely start with the 3/8. It handles easier for a
beginner, and most important, it is far easier to sharpen
and reshape, due to less metal mass.

A beginner will /should try different kinds of edges
to find one to suit ones own "way".

Bjarte