Chris Lewis

According to Peter Solomon :
On 22 Nov 2004 18:37:34 GMT, (Chris Lewis)
wrote:

While you can mark a "white" (normally neutral) wire "black" (hot),
you cannot do the reverse - in other words, you _cannot_ mark a "hot coloured"
wire (red or black) white (neutral) according to the NEC.

Secondly, if you did this, where does the 240V come from for the heater?

Chris thank you for responding, actualy its one black (Hot) and one
red (Hot) 120v each, 180 out of sync giving the US standard of 220v.
Then I have one green, ground to the sub-panel and a green that used
to run from the outside housing of the old and all metal blower from a
external lug.

I understood all that.

This unit is all plastic, has three wires, white, black
and red and is rated for 110v. All I am looking to do is steal the red
wire and re-route it to the neutral bus, effectively making it a white
wire.

Right - see above - you can't use a black or red wire for neutral as
per NEC.

Secondly, you say this circuit is supplying a 240V heater too. Once you steal
the red wire from the 240V circuit, where's the heater going to get that leg of
the 240V from?

I can add another breaker instead of taking it off of the double
throw breaker. I mean in therory I cant see what the issue would be
with the exception of the double breaker in the mix, then again I
could be missing something?? Thanks again for responding.

The double breaker doesn't matter. Reusing a red conductor for
neutral does. And you'd kill your pool heater.

Many motors can be converted to 120 from 240V and vice-versa.
Check inside the motor terminal box.

If you can't, your most-legal option is to eat the motor and buy
a 240V one.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est