Peter Solomon

On 22 Nov 2004 18:37:34 GMT, (Chris Lewis)
wrote:

According to Peter Solomon :
I have a burned out blower for a spa that is located more the 50 feet
from the spa. The blower was 1.0hp and 220v (USA). The replacement
blower I have is 110v, and 2.0hp.

The wire from the old installation is as follows:

From a sub panel, located on the opposite side of the house, there are
three breakers. One set on the left provide 110v for the in water pool
light, and the pool pump. The right side has the double joined 220v
breaker pair for the 11k spa heater and 220v for the previous blower.

The wires at the blower end are red black and green. There is also a
heavy gauage green wire that runs from a pole in the ground, along
side the air feeder tube, that runs some 75 feet to the spa, located
on the other side of the pool, from the side of the house. The green
wire was previously connected to the metal housing bell that covers
the blower blades. The entire housing of the previos blower was metal.

You appear to have a 240V circuit with _two_ grounds, rather than
a 240/120V split circuit with one ground. Which is pretty typical
for pools & spas, especially when the original was 240V only.

While you can mark a "white" (normally neutral) wire "black" (hot),
you cannot do the reverse - in other words, you _cannot_ mark a "hot coloured"
wire (red or black) white (neutral) according to the NEC.

Secondly, if you did this, where does the 240V come from for the heater?

You have a couple of options:
- Establish a proper neutral for the 240V (tho the NEC will frown on
supplying separate 120V and 240V devices off the same circuit, and even
if they didn't, to be legal, the existing circuit would have had to be
in conduit - you can't haywire a circuit out of multiple separately
sheathed conductors).
- Establish a new/separate 120V circuit for the blower.
- Replace the blower with a 240V unit.
- See if the blower motor can be converted to 240V (I'd very much
expect this to be possible with a motor rated at 2HP on 120V)
- Reexamine the amp ratings and see if you can put the blower on the
120V pump circuit (unlikely).

I think blower motor conversion or the new circuit are your best bets.

In any event, you'll have to check the amp ratings - at 120V and double
the HP, the new blower could consume 4 times as much amps as the old,
which when combined with the heater may be too much for the side
of the 240V dual breaker you put it on. Which is a bad idea anyway.

Chris thank you for responding, actualy its one black (Hot) and one
red (Hot) 120v each, 180 out of sync giving the US standard of 220v.
Then I have one green, ground to the sub-panel and a green that used
to run from the outside housing of the old and all metal blower from a
external lug. This unit is all plastic, has three wires, white, black
and red and is rated for 110v. All I am looking to do is steal the red
wire and re-route it to the neutral bus, effectively making it a white
wire. I can add another breaker instead of taking it off of the double
throw breaker. I mean in therory I cant see what the issue would be
with the exception of the double breaker in the mix, then again I
could be missing something?? Thanks again for responding.

Pete