Norman D. Crow

"Prometheus" wrote in message

snip

Sucks, doesn't it. I've been wanting a combination head square for a
while now, and I was drooling over the Starret LV sells for around
$150- but I don't *need* something that accurate. So, I dug around
for forever and a day, and found that the only other version available
to me (that I could find) was a "Tool Shop" one for $10. I knew it
was going to suck. I came back to look at it at least three times,
and finally thought to myself "it can't be $140 worse" and brought the
sucker home. Turns out I was wrong. It's not only thin enough to
read the paper through, but the inner ring of the protractor is
powder-coated (guess how long that lasted before it started to grind)
and the screw that attaches it to the ruler actually falls right out
if the the head is removed for some reason. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!
Where in the %^&* are the reasonable-quality $60 tools? Guess they're
too expensive for the DiY/Walmart crowd, but not flashy enough for
*pros*. Dammit.

I've had a couple different combination squares over the years, and although
I can't speak for the Starrett, every one I've ever used the spring & screw
would fall out if removed from the ruler. This includes the combo head,
center finder head and the protractor head.

--
Nahmie