George

~600 rpm.

Use a square to transfer down the edge, same as regular woodwork.

Always use that extra hand - tailstock - even if it seems slightly in the
way, until your piece is at best balance.

Never scrape what you can cut. Stresses the entire setup more, and makes an
inferior surface.

You can also play the game with pin jaws and three holes in a glue block.
Almost sounds like a song lyric, doesn't it?

"res055a5" wrote in message
how do i transfer those three marks? i can divide the marked circle

into
thirds,
but how do i line up one mark to another on the other end of the wood?

thanks for the advice...guess i forgot to include some information. I am
using an ancient delta lathe.
the piece i was turning is 4" o.dia., 4" long, cherry wood. I was trying

turn the outside.
speed, i don't know because this ancient lathe has 4 pulleys and i was on

th
e slowest pulley, but i don't
know the motor speed. I was not using the tailstock and had it just glued

a piece
of waste wood that was screwed to the faceplate....it didn't come off the
wastewood, but i shut off
the lathe as quickly as i could and removed it from the lathe until i

could
get more advice.