George

Ah yes, I was also going to suggest this "Biological impossibility" device.
Those with rotating headstocks shouldn't be without them.

How about loosening the jaws on the chuck, sliding the nose of the tail
center into gripping position, and tightening both grip and jaw alignment
with it as a reference?

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Fred Holder wrote:

I suspect however from what you say that the headstock is not locked

down in
perfect alignment with the tailstock. I've used rotating head lathes for
several
years and finally settled for a double ended Morse Taper to ensure the
centering
of the lathe headstock and tailstock

Double ended morse taper?? I never knew such a beast existed; now that
would be just the ticket. I have been trying to figure out how one would
get the two parallel with each other. I will have to track one down.

If the misalignment is not too great, you can turn on the lathe before
bringing the drill up to the wood. Allow the wood to self center the

drill
and then lock
down the tailstock.

Ahh, also a great idea. Never thought of that. Some things to try.