IMM

"RichardS" noone@invalid wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message ...
Grunff wrote:
wrote:

snip

That's not to say you should replace your boiler every two years with
the latest, most efficient model. Just that when you come to replace
your boiler at the end of its natural life, get the most efficient one
you can, made by a reputable manufacturer.

What I think is *really* significant about the article is the slipped
in note that 20% of UK fuel consumption is in our houses. Thus even if
our boilers' efficiency is improved nationwide by, say, 20%, that will
only save an absolute maximum of 4% on our overall energy consumption.
(That may not be quite right, it depends a bit on the typical efficiency
at the moment but it gives the sort of order of magnitude involved)

It'll be still less because we don't all use gas boilers and because
other energy losses won't be affected by changing the boiler.

If 80% of our energy is used by industry then that is where most
efforts should be applied, or maybe it's transport.

P'raps a significant amount is also used pulling down old buildings and
manufacturing/putting up new energy efficient ones... ;-)

Old bricks and slate tiles are re-cycled.