Bernard Randall

For a home brew a better bet would probably be the 24" x 6" x 5" ID @ $68.72
by the same eBay vendor.

Having used an Eastern copy of a 20"/40" cantilevered unit, the media
holding method is critical. That on this model made for very difficult roll
replacement and didn't self tighten, so the results were strips that broke
where they passed through the drum.

Most of the better models I have seen have internal webs to stiffen the
drum, maybe something like a high density foam would help?

Are the pulleys for the feed system? Most of the contilevered drums are
direct drive with a flexible coupling. Also, don't forget a fairly fine
thread adjustment method, ideally for a cantilever system this should be a
form of acme thread. (Assuming the bed is stationary and the drum / motor is
moving).

Lathes are nice, especially metal working ones, but before you part with
your cash, take into account that you could easily double the cost of your
lathe by the time you add tooling and measurement instruments, and then a
little latter on there'll be just this little old mill you just can't live
without :-).

Regards.

BWR

"WD" wrote in message
On 22 Nov 2004 11:20:44 -0800, (Larry Bud) wrote:

I too been thinking of making a thickness sander, I just can't make up my

mind
whether to buy a Perform ax 16/32 or make one. This is what I found:

You can buy 5" X12" aluminum (6061 T6) tube 1/2" wall thickness for $32.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

The seller I presume can supply tube length up to 24". I have also found a
website that sell new surplus feed geared fraction motor, cost $10 to $80

each.
They also sell pillar block bearing, pulley etc. I think I have source

all the
necessary parts to make 24" thickness sander, except a lathe. I found an
Atlas/Craftsman 1960s for $1,200 in our local papers. I would love to own

lathe and to be able to make all the parts I need... but, is it worth

it???

I was toying an idea, what if I make at cost an aluminum sanding roller

5"X24"
fitted with pillar block bearings, two pulleys ready to install for about

$120,
you provide the motor and each buyers donate a few bucks to pay for the

lathe?

I presume I should also provide a possible dwg of the thickness sander and
necessary rollers for the feed belts and the feed geared motor. Ultimately

presume for the sanders should be under $400 including a used 1-1/2hp

motor??

I am serious, I am willing to do it for free and you pay for the all the
materials....

I've searched the archives on r.w. and the internet about building my
own drum sander, but one question remains about the operation these
sanders:

Let's say I build a 20" wide unit. Am I able to sand a 40" wide piece
by sending it through twice, or will a sanding line develop? If I
can't do this satisfactorily, is a 20" useful enough to build?

Thx.