Speedy Jim

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

We are putting in a tile floor in the laundry closet we are building
on the first floor of our house (with an unfinished basement below).

Originally we had planned on putting in a drain in the center of the
floor and hooking it into the house drain system. However, according
to the plumber this would be quite expensive and complicated since we
would need a separate trap from the washer and we would have to
connect the trap to the water supply to prevent it from drying out.

Given that, we have decided to instead install a shower-drain gizmo in
the floor and leave it unconnected so that any overflow or spillage
goest directly down into our (unfinished) basement rather than onto our
hardwood floors.

- Does this make sense?
- What hardware do we need for the drain if we just want it to go
through the tile and subfloor? (we also might want to preserve the
option to hook up the drain to some pvc pipe or hose to direct it to
a drain in the floor of the basement)

Thanks

That's not such a bad idea. Maybe one of these drain fittings:
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/sh...&prodgrpid=118
HD prolly has them or similar. Check whether the threaded "stem"
will be long enuf to get thru the floor.
These accept 2" pipe. You will also find fittings intended for
floor drains which accept 3" or 4" pipe.

Jim