Jeff Wisnia

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
Harbor Freight seems to have some very attractively priced power
tools, particularly those under the "Chicago Electric Power".

What has been your experience with Harbor Freight in general and with
the Chicago Electric brand in particular?
- How does the quality and value stack up?
- If one is a serious hobbyist who doesn't have unlimited money to
spend on tools, is it better to buy fewer name-brand, high-priced
tools or go for a broader range of Chicago Electric brand tools to
fill out my home shop?

Presumably you never get something for nothing so I imagine the
quality of a 29.95 sawzall type tool can't be as good as a $200
Milwaukee version... but that being said, is it worth buying this
stuff?

Please share your experiences and advice from a hobbyist perspective
(I know that if you use your tools professionally 8+ hours/day then it
pays to buy the best).

Thanks

Like the others have already said, if you are only going to use their
tools once a month or so, and aren't going to drop them onto the ground
from a couple of stories, they can do a credible job.

I got one of their portable bandsaws when it was on sale for around $60
and I swear it's the greatest thing since sliced bread for cutting
almost anything from wood to 2" x 2" angle iron. I think I reach for it
more often than any other hand power tool in my collection.

I've bought some of their router and other woodworking bits and they
seem pretty workable for the occasional use I give them.

The only power tool I ever bought from them which was a real
disappointment was their garden "shredder/chipper", bought when it was
on sale for a little over $100. It's far too small do do any kind of
real job converting brush into wood chips. I tried using it once last
year and never bothered with it again, It took nearly an hour for me to
get one bushel of homemade mulch. I'm about ready to give it to Goodwill
before the year ends and take a charitable deduction for it, 'cause I
get annoyed every time I look at it taking up space in the garage.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia