Fred

"Jock" wrote:

I bought a gorgeous bath tap with a single joystick lever for hot and cold
water, but I didn't realise that because it's a fancy-schmantzy European
thing it doesn't work well on my UK gravity system. So it takes forever to
fill the bath with hot water; the hot water merely trickles out.

In the bathroom airing cupboard is a cylinder hot water tank with the cold
water tank combined on top of it. The boiler is in the kitchen downstairs.

I'm now replacing the old boiler with a combi boiler, to be installed in the
airing cupboard. However, I've read on the FAQs that combi boilers give a
very slow flow to the bath.

My question is: Will a combi boiler make my bathroom tap even worse?

Thanks.

I am an amateur, but full pro European ;-) Put in a Euro tap in the
kitchen in my old house a while ago. Warm alone does not seem to be
any better or worse than at a UK tap. Mixing from the tank is
difficult because the cold pressure is much stronger, hence limiting
the hot water flow by providing a water barrier. That's how I see it
at least. We got round by always turning on the hot first, then
gradually opening the cold so as not to overpoor the "gravity" system.
The weird return stop valves fitted by plumber (UK) to comply with the
law (UK - he insisted on this) did not help matters. Maybe you have
something like this as well

As for the combi (new house), mixing is easier. Flow rate has been
dealt with in so many posts that I do not need to add my amateur
knowledge of it. The only point is: if you are UK pro-bathers, then
you need a serious combi (flow 20l/min) to compete with a modern tank
system.

Fred