James Sweet

"MacMan85" wrote in message
On 18 Nov 2004 08:14:16 -0800, (Rajiv Mehra)
wrote:

Hi Richard,

What if my CCFLs are faulty? Don't you think in that case too the
inverter will shutdown?

I just want to be sure before I put some money in a new inverter (some

$60 but even then the exact same part is not available anywhere. They
do have similar inverters which can make 2 CCFLs light up, instead of
4 like mine
http://www.lcdpart.com/Products/cda039f.html)

If the tubes light up even briefly they are not faulty - there isn't
really anything to go wrong with a CCFL - it's just a tube with an
electrode at each end filled with gas.

That's not entirely true, as they age, the emissive coatings on the
electrodes wear out and the voltage required to sustain an arc rises. It's
possible for it to reach a point where the inverter has enough kick to
strike an arc but can't sustain a high enough voltage to keep it going. I
would certainly suspect the inverter first though.