Tony Bryer

Default Footings crossing boundary

In article , Rockydell wrote:
As I understand it from a previous thread a week or so back, it is
permissable to build a garage extension right up to the boundary
between neighbouring properties and the foundations can actually
cross over.

Preferably not without the express agreement of the adjoining owner,
legalities notwithstanding (when you sell you have to declare whether
you have had disputes with neighbours)

Where extensions to semi-d's were concerned, in my BCO days we used to
suggest to people that they talk to their neighbour and get their
agreement (should be done by a solicitor, but exchange of letters at
least) to build the extension flank wall on the line of the party wall
(i.e straddling the boundary): first owner pays; in return for agreeing
the second user can use the wall if they subsequently decide to extend.
Both get an extra 100mm of internal space and no nasty gap. If you're
doing this with a flat roof, best to extend up as a parapet along the
boundary so owner 2 can do his stuff without disturbing your roof.