Parish

Default Footings crossing boundary

Peter Crosland wrote:
As I understand it from a previous thread a week or so back, it is
permissable to build a garage extension right up to the boundary between
neighbouring properties and the foundations can actually cross over.
The idea being to eliminate unsightly gaps between extensions built side
by side. If this is the case, what happens when the second person to
build then wants to build up to the boundary too? Does his wall bear on
those original foundations? If so, what happens if those foundations
are only suitable for a single story and the second person wants to
build higher? (I may be in a similar situation sometime. The original
thread fizzled out.)

I did not see the original thread but it certainly is NOT acceptable without
permission, preferably by altering the deeds, and in many cases building
regs and/or planning would prevent it. If you want to build right up the
boundary where there is another wall the sensible thing to do is agree this
with the neighbour and plan ahead.

I think that this is the post the OP was referring to:

http://tinyurl.com/35r54

To quote:

"Boundaries can be a problem but with the new legislation, you can build
right up to the edge and build footings on your neighbours side without
his permission. This is to prevent the stupid 6" gaps appearing between
extensions. He can object and appeal, but will be stopped from
interfering if you are granted permission."