Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:01:40 -0600, Jim Adney put
finger to keyboard and composed:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:03:08 +1100 Franc Zabkar
wrote:

In any case an
email from a kind gent has cleared up the mystery for me. The
connection method is 3M Scotch 9703 conductive tape:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

"Tape 9703 is an isotropic, electrically conductive, pressure
sensitive adhesive (PSA) transfer tape. It is a permanently tacky
system consisting of a PSA matrix with aligned conductive particles.
These particles allow electrical conduction through the adhesive
thickness ("Z-axis"), but not in the plane of the tape."

I agree with the others that this is a VERY interesting product, but I
don't think that it was what was used on the calculator I worked on
many years ago. That stuff did not look like tape, and it certainly
wasn't tacky any more.

There must be something else that is suitable for OE use. Perhaps it
is ultraviolet curing.

Here is another interesting product that bonds flex cable to coated
glass (eg LCD modules):

"3M™ Film 5552R electrically connects and mechanically bonds fine
pitch (less than 100 micron flexible printed circuit (Flex) -
especially copper/polyimide (PI) circuits - to Indium Tin Oxide (ITO)
coated glass substrates. Film 5552R is ideal for fine pitch systems
requiring high electrical conductivity and high reliability, along
with repairability. It offers low electrical interconnection
resistance and high stability and reliability over a wide range of
demanding environmental conditions."

And another one:

"3M™ Film 5460R electrically connects and mechanically bonds flexible
printed circuits (Flex) – especially copper/polyimide (PI) circuits –
to a wide variety of electronic substrates and metallizations,
including printed circuit boards (PCB) and flexible circuits. Film
5460R is ideal for high performance systems requiring high electrical
conductivity and high reliability, along with repairability."

And still another one (Z-Axis Adhesive Film 7303):

"Use to electrically connect and mechanically bond flexible printed
circuits to printed circuit boards and other flex circuits. Thermoset
adhesive film with anisotropic electrical conductivity through the
Z-axis. Designed for electrically and mechanically bonding polyester
and polyimide flex circuits to printed circuit boards, and other flex
circuits."

- Franc Zabkar