Andy Cuffe

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:32:49 -0500, Sunny wrote:

Yes, thanks - I understand my options, but I have good reasons for
preferring repair if possible.

Good SCSI CD-R drives are not cheap, and SCSI DVD-R drives don't seem to
be available at any price.

I purchased an IDE DVD-R a couple of months ago, but after many
frustrating hours gave up on getting it to work properly in my system -
one IDE device in an otherwise all-SCSI workstation was not a happy
combination. The IDE DVD-R works fine in my other half's IDE-only system.

IDE should work fine for DVD recording as long as you have UDMA.

If you're using Windows, make sure DMA mode is enabled for the DVD-R
drive. It's usually set to PIO only by default. This will result in
HEAVY CPU usage and buffer under runs. The setting is in the device
manager under either the drive's properties, or the IDE channel's
properties depending on the version of Windows.
Andy Cuffe